Sunday, January 20, 2013

Are Trans-Fats Bad for You?


My dad always told me during my high school years to avoid food products with trans-fats. Every time I picked up margarine in the dairy section of a supermarket, he would tell me to read the labels just to see if trans-fats were present. It wasn’t until my college years that I thought back and wondered what the big deal was about trans-fats. Here a quick summary about trans-fats:


Process
Trans-fats are derived from a process known as hydrogenation. Hydrogenation converts healthy oils into a semi-solid form. (Think of liquid oils converting into margarine). For you chemists out there, hydrogenation is the process of adding hydrogen to a double bond of an unsaturated fatty acid (liquid oil) to make them less unsaturated.

Health risk?
Man-made trans fats act like saturated fats (the “bad” fats) and can affect the level of good cholesterol. In terms of our health, it is quite damaging. Why? Because we cannot break down trans fat, so it becomes incorporated into our cells. A build up of saturated fats in our system (like our arteries) can lead to certain diseases such as cardiovascular disease.  

Health benefits?
We have to keep in mind that trans fats do occur in nature. Trans fats are found in animal fat such as beef products. According to Flora Wang, a researcher at the University of Alberta, a small amount of trans vaccenic acid (a trans fat) in the diet can lower the risks of certain diseases such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

Are there Trans-Fats in My Food?
That depends on your diet. Usually trans-fats are found in highly processed foods such as margarine, cookies, cakes, and some meals in fast food chains. Just read the Nutrition Facts if you are worried and make your own decision based on your opinion about trans fats.

Personal Conclusion
 I hardly buy highly processed food products so I do not really have to think about trans fats. I agree with my dad though and I would avoid trans fats because I do not like the fact that our bodies cannot break them down.



References:
University of Alberta (2008, April 5). Natural Trans Fats Have Health Benefits, New Study Shows. ScienceDaily. Retrieved January 20, 2013, from http://www.sciencedaily.com­ /releases/2008/04/080402152140.htm

1 comment: