Sunday, February 20, 2011

Maintaining That Weight On A Ski Trip


I just came back from Whistler. I stayed overnight with several friends in a lodge and I must say I was a little worried because I didn’t think I would be able to exercise throughout the day. By the time I arrived at Whistler the slopes were closed and there wasn’t a gym anywhere near me. I know many people have been in this position: you want to exercise but you just can't find a suitable area to do so. If you exercise in front of your friends, you just look stupid and they'll probably make fun of you. If you are sharing a room with your family you might not want them to stare at you while you are working out. You can’t run outside because the weather is not on your side. You might try to exercise in the hallway or even in the shower if you are really desperate.


STOP right there...I have come up with some simple tricks that let me enjoy my trip without completely ruining my exercise routine or my eating habits.
First of all, make sure to drink lots of water during your trip so you don’t eat as much. You want your stomach to expand and feel full. You should also consider eating salads without dressing along with plenty of vegetables. I know it’s really hard to make a decision if you're bound to eat at restaurants. I don’t want you coming out of a restaurant feeling guilty about what you ate, so try to order the healthiest possible option on the menu. It may be tempting to get the fetuccini alfredo over the grilled chicken breast with vegetables, but believe me, your body will appreciate it.I ended up eating at the lodge I was staying in. I ate tons of carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and tomatoes with plain cooked salmon. I didn’t add any pure carbs in to my meal since I didn’t work out and didn’t really need them.


Just a reminder: Try not to eat after 8 o’clock since you want time for your food to digest before you sleep. Eating right before going to bed leaves you both uncomfortably full and with a bunch of calories that you won't be using.
Also, try to walk as much as possible. DO NOT take the elevator no matter what floor you are staying on. The higher your floor, the better. Take the stairs and burn those calories! If you have luggage that isn’t too heavy, carry it up with you. Before you go to sleep, simply dance around in the bathroom while you are brushing your teeth. I know it’s sounds silly but you want a work out right?

The next day before I left to ski I ate oatmeal and cornflakes with milk and I packed a lunch for my friend and me. I made pasta with tomato and mushroom sauce and for dessert I mixed carrots and blueberries. It was delicious! We ended up eating in the dining room at Rendez Vous on the top of the slope on Blackcomb Mountain. I left Whistler late afternoon and got back to The University Of British Columbia happy and without a trace of guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment