Monday, January 21, 2013

Simple Diet Rules

With all the ways companies advertise to lose weight today, it could get confusing and frustrating. I believe only two things are needed for a healthy self: diet and exercise.

Diet
Don't over complicate it. The most important advice I could give you is to listen to your body. Think of it as you in a relationship with your body; you need to keep both you and your body happy. Here are some simple rules I stick to on a daily basis:


- EAT YOUR VEGGIES AND FRUITS: Incorporate a handful of veggies and one fruit at every meal
- EAT ANYTHING YOU WANT IN MODERATION: This was a hard topic to grasp since I was a health freak at some point. I avoided my favorite guilty pleasures for months and when I did buy these products, I would binge on them and then feel guilty afterwards. I learned that it is okay to eat your favorite foods, like chocolate and cookies, just in moderation.
- PORTION CONTROL: This is probably the hardest and most important part of weight loss. For months I had difficulty with portion sizes and I couldn't lose weight. I realized that I was eating about 1.5 times as much as I should have been. I started using smaller plates to make my portion sizes look bigger when in fact they were getting smaller. This helped greatly.
- EAT WHEN HUNGRY, STOP EATING WHEN FULL: I know this is easier said than done but you need to put effort into your diet. If you don't change your eating habits, your body will never change.

Exercise
Exercising is an important component of weight loss. Several people do not like to exercise, however. Here is a simple solution: add some moves into your daily life. Here are some examples:


- While brushing your teeth, walk in place or move your hips
- During each commercial break, do 10 push-ups
- Before eating a meal at home, do 10 normal or jump squats
- Before going to bed, hold a plank for 30 seconds 

I personally do interval training for about 10 minutes everyday. I could hardly breathe after each workout but I feel much more energized and can go on with my daily routine. Remember that in order to lose weight, you need to exercise.

If any of this was easy, everybody would be fit, healthy, and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment